Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Geometric Desk Calendar by Samantha


Hello! Samantha here today to share a project using the 2017 Mini Calendar Stickers. I got the crazy idea that it might be kind of fun to have a 12 sided 3-D shape to put my calendar on. Here's what I came up with for a geometric desk calendar. 


The official name for this type of shape is a dodecahedron. Creating one is pretty simple. You start by cutting 12 circles from card stock. You'll also need a pentagon that fits exactly inside the circle. You use the pentagon as a guide for scoring lines onto your circle. 


 The picture above shows the shapes I'm talking about.


You can see one of my 12 circles on the far left (above) with the pentagon template sitting on top. In the center you see how the circle gets scored around the pentagon template. Finally, on the far right is the finished piece. 


After scoring all 12 sides, I added a calendar sticker from the 2017 Standard Mini Calendar sticker set (but the 2017 Decorative Mini Calendar sticker set would work great, too!) and a coordinating seasonal icon sticker from the Calendar Companion sticker set to each circle. 


Once I had all of my pieces decorated, I just had to adhere them together with a nice strong adhesive. I chose to fold my tabs out, so my geometric shape has "petals". If you want a cleaner shape with flat seams, just fold the tabs to the inside of the dodecahedron instead of the outside.  


I can't wait to use this fun, interactive geometric desk calendar when 2017 rolls around! Where would you put a calendar like this?  And by the way….what a great gift this would make!  

No comments: