Monday, October 17, 2016

Crafting with Kids - Boo Banner by Karen


Do you like to craft with your kids? I love to craft with my daughter, but I have to admit - sometimes it's really hard to let her do her own thing without me "directing" her. This month SRM asked me to create a project with kids and let them have fun! And guess what? We both did!


For this "Boo Banner" project I used 5 embossed glassine bags as the banner bases. I added some acrylic paints in yellow and orange for color and texture and let it dry. I let my daughter pick out a font for the letters and cut them out with my die cut machine. 


Then I gathered all my Halloween themed stickers from my SRM stash and handed them over to my daughter. Seriously, her eyes got as big as saucers at the sight of those stickers in her hands! 


I told my daughter to use the border stickers to decorate the bags and then we would add the letters on top. My idea was to keep everything in nice straight lines, but she had her own ideas. So, with a deep breath, I stepped back and let her create. As you can see, she piled on stickers and borders in all directions and you know what? It's awesome! Each piece is fun, colorful and original - just like her.


We attached the pieces to a long black ribbon with mini clothespins. On each mini clothespin we attached a white card stock circle with a happy little spider sticker. For each end of the banner we gathered several lengths of coordinating ribbon.


Letting your kids into your crafting stash can be scary at times, but it's also a wonderful way to celebrate and teach confidence in their own style and creativity. Plus, you'll both cherish the time you get to spend together and have a great project to show off and talk about!

For this project I used:

No comments: