Monday, September 19, 2016

Back to School Watercolor Printable by Samantha


Hello! Samantha here with you today. It's that time of year, so I'm sharing a Back to School Watercolor Printable. I'm going to be honest with you; I love watercolor art, but I absolutely cannot draw to save my life. Since I can't draw, I like to find ways to create watercolor art for my walls that don't require me to draw. Today I'll show you just how I created watercolor art for my walls with SRM's Color In Watercolor Pencils, a water brush, my printer, and absolutely no drawing!



Instead of drawing my design, I created it in a PDF file (which you can download for free at the end of this post). I let my computer do all the work of "drawing" for me. I found a cute pencil font and modified it a bit to fit my needs. To really give the finished product a painted feel, I printed my design out on watercolor paper instead of standard card stock. Then, I started to color in my design. I primarily used the new Marvy Color In Watercolor Twist Pencils, but I did use a Marvy Color In Watercolor Pencil for the peachy color of the pencil erasers and wood tips.



I wanted you to be able to see the difference blending the pencils with water makes, so I colored my whole design and took the picture above. You can see that, basically, the letters look colored in (no big deal, but not the look I'm going for).

 

In this photo, I've now blended the watercolor pencils with the Marvy Color In Water Brush. My letters now have a smooth, blended look. In person they look more like they've been painted than like they've been colored. 

Oh how I love the Watercolor Twist Pencils and Blender Brushes!


I have a frame in my house that I swap out seasonal printables for display, so I popped my finished Back to school Watercolor Printable in there. If you love the look of watercolor, but can't draw, grab the printable PDF and some Marvy Color In Watercolor Pencils and try out this fun technique!


Have a crafty day!