Friday, November 10, 2017

12 Days of Christmas Countdown Advent Calendar


Hello!  Shanna here again with a fun and festive Christmas project!!  

In my house we have a tradition of a countdown advent calendar... Similar to the chocolate ones you see in stores, we like to give little treats and toys as part of the fun!  I have varied in the past with a full 25 days of fun, or a simpler 12 days of counting fun.  This year, for my 5 year old's first advent calendar I chose to run with the 12 days of Christmas countdown as it will be a little more simplistic for him to follow as he is autistic and the more simplified it is, the less stressed he gets.  


I adored making this fun banner-style calendar with with fun and simple flair!


Here is what I used:
Distress Oxide inks in Lucky Clover, and Candied Apple
Mini Clothespins


I started by stamping directly onto the scallop circles the numbers 1-12 using the BIG Numbers Stamp Set.  I actually ended up embossing them in clear, but it down played the oxide colors unfortunately.  Good news is my 5 year old won't be nearly as critical of them as I am!  


Next was made easy peasy by utilizing the treat bags as the wrapping/holder for the goodies.  We keep things small and affordable.  I picked up a multi pack of trains (his fave) and some figurines from the dollar store along with a couple pencils that are helping him learn to write.  Fun stuff!!  I put candy in my older kids calendars sometimes to mix it up, but for this one I stuck with small toys. 

I folded down the bags to close them and then sealed them using one of the awesome stickers in the SRM Stickers Live Life/Christmas Stickers set!!  Super easy!  I attached my numbers to the bags with some double sided tape and then strung them on the jute twine clothesline-style.  I love how it turned out and will fit on our mantle perfectly this coming December!






What is a fun tradition you like to do in preparation for Christmas??

Until next time!!

3 comments:

carrie said...

Cute project Shanna. Love it.

Fikreta said...

So nice!

Marlena M. said...

Love this idea~wonderful packaging!