Monday, August 8, 2016

Burlap Prayer Pouch by Karen


Welcome to the 2nd week of our introduction of the 2016-2017 Design Team.  Today we are sharing a project with our new design team member Karen Hunter.  Karen has been a lover of all things SRM for quite a while and we are thrilled to have her on our design team. 


Here are some thoughts from Karen in her own words: 

I have been crafting all my life.  It started with gold macaroni covered pencil holders and, thankfully, has matured since then.  After 13 years of teaching middle school and crafting on the side, I landed my dream job as a stay at home mom.  Woven in with full time mommyhood, today I diligently create scrapbooks and other projects and journals in my bible to tell her stories of faith, family, and other bits of life.  I also continue to teach here and there and share my creativity online through blogging and other social media. I enjoy time with family, improving my photography and writing skills, and generally all things crafty. Me and my husband of 21 years try to keep up with our lively 7 year old daughter in Harpers Ferry, WV. 

Today I'm showing you this adorable (and useful) little burlap bag turned "Prayer Pouch"  project. I loved sprucing up a plain burlap bag with the happy Vintage ribbon and stamps.


First, I sewed a strip of turquoise Vintage Floral Ribbon to the left side of the burlap bag (don't you love that contrast of the floral with the rough texture of the burlap?). Since I sewed right through both sides of the bag it created a narrow pocket, perfect for one or two of your favorite LePen pens. I stamped "AMEN!" with the BIG Amen Faith Stamp Set directly onto the burlap. 


Inside the right side of the pouch, I've inserted some prayer cards. I can use these to write out my prayers or as reminders of prayer requests. I stamped sentiments and stitches using the BIG Amen set and the BIG Trinity Set as well as the arrow stitch from the Lord is My Light set onto cardstock to coordinate with the ribbon colors. Even with the BIG stamps, there is plenty of space to write my prayers and notes.


To keep the cards together I grabbed a large paper clip and looped a bit of the ribbon onto one end. It just adds another fun element to this cute prayer pouch.


The pouch is great for on-the-go and can be tucked in your purse or Bible bag. You could also easily hang this next to your bed for those late-night thoughts of prayer requests and needs - write them down so your brain can rest for the night and then hit your knees in the morning to bring them before the Lord!


For this project I used:

No comments: